I tend to do that.

Friday, March 4, 2011

Mission Statement

Many moons ago, I don't actually remember when or how, I stumbled across the blog of one Christopher J. Sims and thought, "Now there's a clever idea!  I should start a blog and post every day in order to develop MY writing chops, too!"

So, I promptly took a nap and forgot about it.

About a year later, when New Year's Resolution time came around, I resolved to get right on that.

About a year after that, I made starting a blog my resolution again...  "This time, for sure!"

About a year after that...  Well, you get the picture.

So, it's been at least half a decade of inaction and can't-be-arsedness.  But today is different.  Today is not the same.  This time, for the first time since I resolved to start a blog, I am unemployed.  Which stark reality has thrown my usual, "Eh, whatever, maybe tomorrow..." mentality into sharp relief.  I don't know where to start looking for work.  I don't know how I'm gonna pay the bills with the economy the way it is.  I don't even know if I'll qualify for unemployment yet.  I have no plan.  I am, in fact, screwed. 

But I do know one thing.  Chris Sims wrote something in his blog every day, and now he's a full-time writer.  If he can do it, then I...  Well, I probably can't.  But it's better than sitting here feeling sorry for myself. 

So, now I have a plan.  Which is more than I had when I got up from my desk for the last time this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment